Thursday, May 7, 2009

Here we go again.

After months and probably years (or let's be honest, my life) of not really exercising much or consistently, I am 8 days into the 30 Day Shred. If you've watched the Biggest Loser, you know that Jillian Michaels is evil. But girlfriend gets results. A few of the bloggers I follow are doing it, and I'm all for a new bandwagon to jump. Plus I have a lovely collection of workout DVDs collecting dust, and if nothing else this is a wonderful addition. One person had commented that they were on Day 11, and their clothes were fitting a little better. I'M IN.

I picked up the DVD at Target, and gave it a go the next morning. When I was almost finished, I believe my thoughts were, "Please, Sweet Jesus, take me home now." Especially as a non-exerciser, it was a bit much for me, even on Level 1. By the end of Day 2, I needed ibuprofen just to get up out of my chair.

Jillian's got a 3-2-1 system. Three minutes of strength training (with handweights). Two minutes of cardio. One minute of ab work. There are 3 circuits of the 3-2-1. I prefer to take it out when my family is gone, so I can cry.

During the workout, Jillian encourages her exercisers with things like, "If we're going to promise big results, you're going to have to work for it!" And "I know this is hard, but I've had 400 lb. people do this, so keep going!" Or my favorite, "If you're looking for a modified jumping jack, you will not find it here!" And then there's the time when she's using one of her exercise slaves to show us the proper pushup, and she says to her, "Oh, is this easy for you?" And then she pushes on her back, "How's that?? How do you like me now??"

It's a wonder her contestants on Biggest Loser haven't smacked her into next week.

It's getting better though. I don't need the ibuprofen anymore, and I made it to Level 2. I'm not sure if anything's happening or not, but I think if I can make it through the workout without throwing up or passing out, it's a victory. Even if my limbs melt right off. So I'm going to try and make it all 30 days.

I'll keep you posted. Unless I give up and quit, in which case I'll probably never bring it up again.

No comments: